Scientism: A Totalitarian Ideology That…
1. Views science as a moral authority and appeals to science as the moral authority for social and economic policy.
2. Commits the appeal to authority logical fallacy, as in: “It’s right because science says so.”
3. Willfully misrepresents what science is — a methodology for testing a hypothesis -- and instead, elevates it to a deified role of pronouncing dogma and prescribing policy.
4. Uses appeals to science as a means to control people and silence dissent as in: “He’s wrong because he’s anti-science.”
5. Tries to reduce life and all aspects of life…
“It is simply no longer possible to believe much of the clinical research that is published, or to rely on the judgment of trusted physicians or authoritative medical guidelines. I take no pleasure in this conclusion, which I reached slowly and reluctantly over my two decades as editor of The New England Journal of Medicine.”
~ Marcia Angell
“The case against science is straightforward: much of the scientific literature, perhaps half, may simply be untrue. Afflicted by studies with small sample sizes, tiny effects, invalid exploratory analyses, and flagrant conflicts of interest, together with an obsession for pursuing fashionable trends…
His combative media antics notwithstanding, Jordan Peterson is a spiritual teacher. There. I said it.
And I’m reminded of when, years ago, I spoke to someone who’d been a student of Joseph Campbell’s at Sarah Lawrence College. He told me how the students there used to refer to Campbell as “Saint Joe.”